Epoxy over por-15 metal ready?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:54 pm
Can I epoxy right over the metal ready? Of course after a good drying period. Iam so concerned about leaving rust specks behind even after media blasting.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:27 am
no, metal ready is a rust treatment. it CANNOT be left ot dry. it must be completely rinsed off with water then the metal sanded to remove all residue. rust treatments are a no no and should really not be used. automotive paint will peel right off when going over them.

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:39 pm
jim c wrote:automotive paint will peel right off when going over them.

Jim, do you think this is the case even with a mechanical bond?
Jay - Next project: 1968 Chevelle Malibu

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:57 pm
point is all these metal treatment leave behind a zinc film to prevent flash rust. paint does not stick to this film and the film is not visible so while it appears you are painting on bare metal you actually are NOT. its like taking bare metal and waxing it first then painting over it. you MUST prime on bare, sanded, clean metal otherwise your taking a really big risk of doing alot of work for nothing. when you use a metal prep you must rinse completely clean with water while its still wet. only problem i see is when you do that you get flash rust on the panel again so i'm not sure what the whole point of the treatment is.

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:32 pm
jim c wrote: only problem i see is when you do that you get flash rust on the panel again so i'm not sure what the whole point of the treatment is.

lmao. I have always wondered about that myself :lol:

Return to Body and Paint