Detailer gouged clearcoat. Proper fix?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:42 am
New Honda. I didn't request the pinstripe and after looking at it for two weeks, I decided I didn't like it. "No problem" they said, "our detailer will remove that for you." When I picked it up they said something about there being some solvent residue on it and they wanted me to come back in a week for a free detailing and buffing. When I looked at it the next day up close, there are gouges all along the stripe line in the clearcoat. Deep gouges. Looks like doofus used a razor blade. Took it back and the sales guy is pissed, but the detailer wants a chance to fix it up. I'm skeptical. I want it done right. What is right? BTW, detailer says he "yelled" at the kid that did it. Great, now I feel all better.
Thanks,
Mike

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:46 am
Some of the scratches are too deep to sand and polish out. Looks like
they used a razor blade. And that's not solvent residue either.

Some of the panels may need to be refinished (like the door). Other
areas could be polished out if the scratches aren't too deep. Speak with
the manager and not the salesman. Demand a written warranty for the
repair or another car. I'd opt for the later seeing as dealer repairs
are rarely up to par.

Good luck and do post the results.
A man can do all things if he but wills them.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:07 am
Man, those photos made my blood boil. As Han implied, any repair they do is going to still significantly devalue your car. Color match on that blue/purple metallic with (looks like) pearls is a long shot, even on a good day, for these places.

I'd start by trying to have a calm conversation with the owner of the place. Don't jerk around with the sales manager for more than 10 minutes...get right to the decision maker.

My goal here would be for them to take the car back on a trade against a new car, same specs, same model year, zero out of pocket for you. Removing pinstripe on a new car is a no-brainer when done correctly. Don't let them move ANY of the risk back to you on this fiasco.

-Randy
"I love the smell of ISOs in the morning!"

Settled In
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:29 am
They should not have had a razor blade close to the paint in my opinion, there are tools made for removing pinstriping. Like others have said, make certain the deck is stacked in your favor.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:00 pm
Yep, seen that done before. Razor blade damage for sure. So much for your "new" car. :cry: With that much damage I would say this falls under the Lemon Law. In our state I would be referring this to our Attorney General's office. That eliminates getting an attorney involved on your dime.
Looks like a lot of refinishing for a lot of stupidity.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:08 pm
I wonder what was going threw the person who was removing it mind when we was just gouging it and kept going with it...Brand new car...

Some of that is going to have to be repainted

Settled In
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:44 pm
Back in 87 mom bought a brand new mercury sable. It was a beautiful maroon car and when we got it home, dad noticed that the two drivers side doors looked a little 'off' from the rest of the car and the rear drivers side power window didn't work. We took it back and they explained that it was damaged in shipping and they would repaint it again. AGAIN! NO WAY! We insisted on another new sable of the same color. The only one they had was one with more options. We got that one for no more money. What a joke. You have to watch those guys.
68 Cougar 302/T5
71 F100 SWB 460/C6
68 F100 SWB 390/C6

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:52 pm
I owned a car that I bought used, that had repainted panels that the dealer warranty database, show were repainted with 37 miles on the car!! The first owner likely did not realize they were buying a $35k car with repainted panels on it already. The repaint was not even done all that well.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:39 pm
OUCH!!!!! I'd tell them they just bought that car back. No way Jose!!

That kid just ruined the finish, it will have to be repainted on most of the panels, that's huge gouges!!!

WTF was he thinking using a razor blade to remove pinstripes anyway???? I swear they'll let ANYONE work in a dealership!! :evil:
WWW.DodgeTrucks.org Administrator
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9L Auto
2000 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9L Auto
2006 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4.0L V6
My Pix

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:09 pm
UPDATE:
Short story is: I got a new car.
They didn't make it too easy, but they did come through.
I’m driving an identical new car as of Sat afternoon. Dealer is charging the costs back to the detailing outfit that messed it up. $4500 just for the car swap, not including the repair costs (I got an estimate of $2400). Detailers insurance will cover it probably (and the kid who did it is looking for a new career). Salesman liked it because they wrote it up as a new deal with a trade, i.e. he got another commission and a repeat sale! I got a loan paid off and a new one, so that should help my credit score. Anyway, an interesting week.

Service manager saw the damage and told me he was getting me a rental car so they could send the car to a body shop for repair. I said "nope, I want a new car". Enter sales manager.

Couple of notes from my "quality time" with the sales manager: Initially his story was that they were not gong to get me into a new car. I asked him what he would want if it was his daughter's car. Next he tried to shift the blame to the "independent" detailer (I went through their service dept, so that didn't fly), next he downplayed the impact on resale value (I asked him what he would want if he owned a two-week old SL500 (I knew that's what he drives) and someone in the service dept backed into it. He really stepped on his d**k when he replied "that's a $110k car, this is a Honda". I let that hang in the air for a few moments while he tried to suck the words back in.). I said this is my first new car in 20 years, not the experience I was expecting. Said it was a minor repair, blah, blah, blah. He ended up saying he would talk to the owner on Monday about the possibility of swapping out and call me. Two hours later he called me and said he had a new car for me.

classic strategy of under-promising and over-delivering. Now they have a happy customer and insurance will pay most of the costs. I didn't act like a dick, but I stated my expectations calmly and had good counters (I think) to all his arguments.

I did give away the window tint I had applied the day before they messed up the paint. But, I also had 1500 miles on the car. I’m thinking of taking the new car back to the tint guy and claim that the tint fell off. Think it will work? Should be good for a laugh anyway.
Next

Return to Body and Paint